PE at MERSTHAM PRIMARY SCHOOL
At Merstham Primary School our vision statement A community growing learning and achieving together clearly sets out what we wish to achieve as a school community. Embedded in our vision are our values Community – Aiming High Learning to Learn and wellbeing
It is the intent of our PE curriculum to ensure that all pupils leave the school with a desire to be active. To achieve this, they need to develop the physical competences and confidence and be able to participate in a range of activities.
Our PE curriculum and approach to physically activity across the school provides opportunities for pupils to be creative, competitive and to face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams.
The school follows the Real PE Curriculum. Staff have received subject specific training in October 2021 from Real PE. The scheme was carefully selected following consultation with the consultant that teh school employs from Mid Sussex Active.
- This is implemented through:
- The curriculum
- The after-school clubs offered
- The competition and festival calendar and personal bests
- Sport specific days
- Leadership opportunities
- The school provides each class with 2 hours of curriculum PE each week
- In Reception and KS1 the aim of the curriculum is for it to be broad and balanced. This allows the children to develop the key fundamental movement skills leading to applying these skills to specific activities
- Both Reception/ KS1 and KS2 follow Real PE. This curriculum supports every child in the school to develop the physical literacy, emotional and thinking skills to achieve in PE, sport and life. It is fully aligned to the National Curriculum and focuses on the development of agility, balance and coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning. (https://realpe.co.uk/)
- In addition, in KS2 this is complemented with the teaching of invasion games, net games, striking & fielding games, Dance and Gym. Year 5 also receive a term of swimming and Year 6 have the opportunity to attend an OAA residential.
- A PE Specialist has been appointed to support teachers in delivering a high-quality curriculum